Sunday, November 23, 2008

Anything Is Possible


Today my girlfriend Carey did something amazing. She completed an Ironman. I tracked her distance and pace online, wishing I was there to see this feat in person, to cheer her on and be there at the finish line. Living in Maryland prevented me from being apart of the "on location cheering squad" but it didn't keep me from appreciating every one of her accomplishments. After each segment, a posted time and a cheer from me. I sat at my kitchen table all day whispering good girl Carey, keep going.

3,000 miles away I was proud . Proud because I know how hard she worked to get to this day. Proud because she was on pace to achieve her goal, proud because she is my friend and she inspires me and proud because I could see from so far away that she had faith in herself and her training.

At the eight hour mark she was just getting of the bike. She had finished the swim and six hours on a hard seat. I was in awe at that point, yet there was still five more hours of running to come. I'm sure any anxiety at this point was mine and she was confident, establishing her long stride to the finish line.

The amount of work that this race physically requires is incredible but more amazing is the mental toughness one must exhibit. I once read that if you know someone who desires to be a triathlete you are linked to someone extraordinary and you should be mindful of the privilege you have been afforded. I am aware everyday, she is an amazing friend and I am blessed to have her in my life.

Congratulations Carey, You are an IRONMAN.

1 comments:

OceanDesert said...

Awesome! I saw that this was going on today!! Good for her!