Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Oh Whata Night...

Bed time is not a quite time in our house. It usually involves a naked baby running down the hall escaping rushing waters and bubbles encased in an oh so inviting porcelain lagoon. Although, a long soak whispers my name, it has yet to lure my son. Upon capture and the confines of four walls, objects not glued down are thrown into the tub. I wondered tonight as I tried to duck and intercept where did this behavior come from? Sure, Brent and I are partly to blame but I am not sure I am willing to claim full responsibility. Of course, we encourage throwing, dunking, and kicking but only when a ball is present. Perhaps, it's the sound or the splash that makes it so appealing but I am more inclined to attribute it to the snakes and snails that this little boy is made of.

I am quickly accepting the expression "He is a boy". I always thought that was a ridiculous statement. "He's a boy", well, obviously! Does that make the spiting, climbing, throwing ok? Does that phrase help me tolerate, ignore or foster the energetic behavior of my son?

The answer is no. However, I have come to appreciate there may be some truth in it. There just is something in his genetic make up that makes him want to play with ants, climb as high as he can get, and jump in puddles till he is soaking wet. I personally, call for reinforcements when a bug needs to be disposed of, crawl back in bed when it's raining and try to keep both feet on the ground in attempts to avoid injuries. Where else would he learn such things?

Often when his actions can be interpreted, by others, as unruly I am relishing the moment. Even if I am soaking wet. I love that he is learning by doing, testing the limits and can't sit still. He is amazing. I love that he wants to be outside twenty four hours a day, likes to run down hills as fast as little feet will go, and tries to throw golf balls into the gutters. After all, aren't the best lessons learned from experience?

Who wouldn't love puppy dog tails when you hear your son try to say I Love You for the first time or when he grabs your hand so you can help him uncover uncharted territory, or when he sits on your lap to watch Bob The Builder. Our life isn't dull and I don't anticipate having a quite house but that is ok because there are moments with my little guy that are filled with sugar and spice.

1 comments:

Jill said...

Wow sure sounds like your life is exciting with Thomas. I am very frightened by what it will mean to have my own little man joining our family soon!