Monday, October 20, 2008

Chapter One

Every three weeks T and I head to the library. It is often a two man operation. My Mom is frequently in tow to provide supervision as I search the stacks for books. It takes a little time as I try to find ones that T will like and aren't too wordy. I look until my bag is full and my shoulder can't take it anymore. It isn't abnormal for us to come home with thirty or forty books.

My mom and I read to him daily. Not only is someone snuggling him in the morning telling a fabulous story with pictures that jump off the page but I read to him before his nap and bedtime. Perhaps, it's my sound effects (which truly are far from good) or the fact that I point to the objects he knows but he loves it. One book is never enough.

Two or three times a day I am re-stacking the books that were once piled in a corner. I have them available should the mood strike and often it does. He slides all the books around, picks his favorite and turns the pages, sitting quietly looking at the pictures. It is such a sight.



I try to different books before he goes to sleep. Reading the same book is too redundant and I'd like to think I am exposing him to new things, words, and images. Although, he definitely has his favorites. When T was a baby I read that a night time routine is essential...bath, book, bed. Llama Llama Red Pajama was what we read every single night, a sign that sleep was soon to follow (it's all about repetition when they are itty bitty). It is an absolute must have for parents and has become one of his favorites. Are You My Mother is the other (it's a long one but he loves it) and I would say my Truck Is Stuck is a close third.

I only get about three pages into a new library book and he yelps for one of his favorites. Each night he seems to let me get in one more page. Eventually, I can get through a whole book and he will start to pick them. It's kinda nice to only have to read one "favorite" book a night instead of three.

I always wondered why Moms only let their child/ren take home one or two books from the library, three if they are lucky. I love that T has a choice and can have a different one three times a day if he wants. He can learn about trucks, dinosaurs, animals and school buses all in the same hour. I love watching him lay on the floor and look at the pictures...wondering if he hears my voice telling the story in his head. I love that it's free and we can go back everyday if we wanted. I hope his love continues for many many years.

1 comments:

The Piccoli's said...

Thank you for emphasizing how important it is the maximize the library. The joy of reading is such a huge gift that you are giving to Thomas...and its totally free with the library. A huge chunk of my childhood was spent with my mom and brother at the library. My mom went on to become a librarian as well. I know she will love reading this blog (she thinks y'all are a great family).