Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Is It Nap Time Yet?

I've been in kind of a funk lately. No reason in particular. Could be that my recent hair cut didn't turn out how I had envisioned. Could be that I miss my girlfriends. Could be that my life is a little disorganized. As Thomas grows more clothes fill the closets and more toys are thrown though out the house. Our space seems to get more cluttered and our room a dumping ground. I don't want to get too settled (set up a desk, file cabinet etc.) because I hope a move is in our future, why set up just to have to pack it and move it? However, for the sake of my sanity I may have to do something....soon. Although, this all seems trivial during "the best part of the day".

The best part of the day is putting T down for his naps. Not because he will soon be sleeping quietly or because I will have a moment to myself but because I have fifteen minutes to cuddle and appreciate my son.

We have a routine. Upstairs to change his diaper and depending on our morning activities a good wipe down with a wash cloth. His favorite blue blanket and passifier are grabbed from his crib. Immediately, the blanket is pressed into his face and he puts his head on my shoulder. I too can smell the sweet sent that is attached to it and love that it provides comfort to us both. We move to the chair (the absolute best purchase we made) and I place him in the crook of my left arm. Nessled in his blanket lays on his chest and he waits for the bottle. I start rocking. As I sway he drinks his milk. He bends his little legs and tries to touch his toes, blanklet in hand. I can't help but think he is amazing, his arms flare in the air and feet rub against the arm of the chair. I think he likes the way the swade feels on his bare feet. I wonder what thoughts are flowing though his head. He is so perfect and we are so lucky.

I notice that each day he seems to get bigger. I dread the day he will no longer fit horizontally in the chair. In the meantime, I kisss his forhead, message his legs and tell him that his momma loves him. The bottle disappears faster than I like. Sometimes, he looks up at me and smiles. I can't help but smile back. He thinks I'm giving him permission to play. It's time for bed, where Big Bird awaits. I lay him in his bed, he stretches out and lets me cover him up. Passifier in place, Big Bird beside him and blue blanket scrunched up in his arms, our quite time is up.

It is during this time, when the house is quiet and it's just us that I forget about everything else. I appreciate what I have been given and remember that many have less. At such a young age T teaches me, puts things in perspective and manages to pull me out of my "funk". What a kid!

1 comments:

OceanDesert said...

So sweet.. I miss his cuddles too!! We are leaving on Friday now.. too much stuff to pack and get done by tomorrow.. anyways, we'll be home soon and hopefully one step closer to seeing y'all at some point!!! .. and I am sure your hair is cute as always!!! I can't wait to get mine done.. it hasn't been cut/colored since JUNE!.. whoah.